Is a sustainable package really sustainable if it doesn’t work?

intrnlDelightPackaging is a serious component of all products. It needs to carry or contain the product. It needs to communicate the product’s ingredients. It needs to tell the company’s story. It needs to be visually compelling. And on top of all of that, if it’s going to make a company relevant to society, it needs to be sustainable. In other words, packaging needs to work on a lot of levels.

This keeps package designers and product engineers really busy trying to figure out how to tie all this stuff together. If a package works, but is expensive and inefficient to make, that’s not a solution. If a package is sustainable, but fails to function, that’s not a solution. If a package design looks good, but fails to keep the product intact or safe, that’s really not a solution.

It’s kind of like playing Jenga, which is why when someone gets it right it’s worth talking about. Method is a great example. Recently, they switched to 100 percent post consumer recycled packaging.

At WhiteWave, we recently had to grapple with these thoughts and concerns in redesigning our International Delight brand’s bottles. Previous designs didn’t work as well as we would have liked. They leaked. And more and more over the past few years, we recognized that the package designs didn’t meet our own emerging sustainability standards. We wanted to do better, so we started using sustainable plastic that requires less energy and water to create. The result? A 30 percent reduction in our carbon footprint vs. the previous design… and the bottle doesn’t leak anymore. Which is nice.

23 Responses to “Is a sustainable package really sustainable if it doesn’t work?”

1. Beverly says:

Great job!!!!

2. Liz says:

Sure proof that doing right by the planet does NOT require a business compromise. Love it!

3. Brenda says:

I like the packaging and the heavy lid. The only problem I have is that when you open the lid, it drips the product because some of the creamer is caught in the top of the lid. It drips down the side and I have to wipe it off every time. I don’t mind it as long as my cap is solid. I have dropped it on the floor and the lid has stayed shut!!!! Yeah!!!

4. Holly says:

I like it! And i love your creamers!!

5. becky says:

I am just curious if is recyclable?

6. Anita says:

I love International Delight! I am a dedicated consumer. I do have the same problem Brenda has: the creamer gets outside the designated area and I have to clean up a lot. Would be great if you could solve that little problem. I’m stuck on ID, though, either way. With no hydrogenated oils and a taste like ID’s, I’m not going anywhere!

7. shirely says:

It’s nice design

8. Suz says:

As alrady mentioned in two prior posts:
    I must say, I do not care for the lid. When I shake it in the morning, it drips while pouring.

9. Allison says:

While I agree that the new package does look more appealling, I disagree with the statement that it doesnt leak, especially when pouring the product.

10. Jo says:

Oh my gosh, I thought I was the only one that thought the same thing about the drippings on top of the cap which is kind of annoying, because I like to shake the bottle before I pour the creamer, but the top cap drips.. But I do love your French Vanilla and Caramel Macchiato.. Yummy!!!

11. Shari says:

I find it very hard to get the aluminum seal off. I end up using my teeth! OUCH!! I noticed some other people mentioned that as well on FB. As far as dripping, you need to make sure to snap the lid down good!! Also, I am having an issue with the French vanilla in NY, but only in 7-11’s. I also ran into someone else who noticed a difference. The consistency is thinner, the color is more white, and the taste is different. We have tried different 7-11’s and they are all the same. So far the ones I buy in the store are ok.Please help!!!!!I can’t buy coffee there anymore!!!

12. Karen says:

I too have the problem with the lid dripping after you shake it…but it is so much better than the old bottle that would splatter EVERYTHING with 6 feet when you would pop open that top and ended up with a sticky mess all over the kitchen. So, I have to say that I love the new design, when they came out with it I brought it home and said to my husband “look, they fixed the splatter problem”
    thanks, love your creamers!!!

13. Brenda#2 says:

I agree with Brenda and the others – I have to wipe off the bottle and the counter every time I use it – but it does not stop me from using your products. Wish I owned stock in your company!

14. Jarod Ballentine says:

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your comments. Glad you’re enjoying the creamers. Not glad you’re having some issues with the new packaging. We’re going to speak with our packaging engineers and see what we can do to fix it.

Stay tuned, and thanks again for your feedback and support.

J

15. angie says:

I love the new package and the product been a fan for a very long time…keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!

16. dolores milligan says:

i like like the package .it is hard to get the fold off the top but it is will worth it all the way.keep up the good work

17. Linda Jensen says:

1209 Westwood Dr Winchester,Kentucky 40391

18. Linda Jensen says:

I’d like this

19. melissa says:

I was thrilled to find the Hersheys chocolate caramel in the grocery store! Holiday gas stations used to have it at their coffee bar but then took it away and I was devastated! I definitely agree with the posts about the cap dripping down the side of the bottle every single time, and both the whole bottle and the fridge shelf get all sticky!

20. Phyllis Morey says:

Just kinda curious

21. Kathy Griffith says:

Great redesign though I still have trouble getting the metal covering off, it is sealed tight. Love the product.

22. Karen says:

I love your creamers I do have a problem with the containers leaking down the side every time I use them, very sticky mess. Hope you can improve them somewhat. I always have at least 3-4 containers on hand. Very good product love it

23. Ellie Cross says:

I am addicted to the French Vanilla Flavor..my coffee just isn’t the same without it! I was so excited with the newly redesigned bottle/cap..no more sticky gooey mess on the lid or in my fridge!!! BUT..and its a big BUT..the consistency & flavor has changed…I thought surely it was a bad bottle so I have been going from store to store purchasing bottle after bottle to no avail. What did u guys do????? Did you sacrifice flavor, making a thinner product to avoid the stick cap mess or what?? Flavor is ok..but definitely not the same. Its a bummer..I did notice the calories per serving changed from 40 to 35 though..so I guess that’s the only plus. Please go back..I miss my thick creamer…I don’t care about the sticky mess!!!!