Memorial Day Weekend marked WhiteWave’s sixth year sponsoring the BolderBOULDER and 10+ years participating in the Boulder Creek Festival. The Silk®, Horizon®, International Delight® and Yulu™ brands were represented at both events. Each brand served samples of new products to hungry folks throughout the weekend. We are excited to share that more than 100 WhiteWave employees participated in this year’s 10K race. Check out the images below of the Memorial Day weekend fun!
This week was the completion of the annual Community Food Share Compete to Beat Hunger Corporate Challenge. This challenge brings together thousands of employees from companies in Boulder and Broomfield Counties, to join in the fight against hunger. And, the impact is huge.
As always this year’s challenge was filled with unique and impactful fundraising events, including a field day with kickball, a wine auction, golf tournament and executive raffles. At WhiteWave, we make it a point to give year round to Community Food Share through employee volunteering, monetary and product donations. This is the one event each year that WhiteWave encourages full employee participation because as a food company, it is especially important to ensure our neighbors have nourishing food to eat. To learn more about how you can get involved in Community Food Share click here . Be sure to check out the pictures from this year’s challenge at WhiteWave and check back in for final results!
After years of preparations, Growing Gardens has officially installed their first fruit orchard as a part of their community gardens and agriculture program. With the help of countless volunteers in Boulder, Growing Gardens planted 100 fruit trees this spring including: apples, pears, peaches, plums, cherries and apricots.
The orchard will provide educational opportunities for backyard gardeners to learn about sustainable fruit gardening and the many varieties of fruit trees suitable for Colorado’s climate. The orchard will encourage gardeners to expand their skills and knowledge, while inspiring them to plant fruit trees in their own communities. It also add to the Growing Gardens curriculum they teach in programs for children, youth, adults and seniors, while providing food for community-based food share programs to low income families.
WhiteWave is a proud sponsor of the Growing Gardens Orchard and continues to support their mission of enriching lives in the Boulder community through sustainable urban agriculture.
To check out a time lapse video of the Growing Gardens tree planting click here.
For additional information about Growing Gardens and how you can become involved check out their website.
WhiteWave CEO, Gregg Engles’, appeared on CNBC’s Mad Money with Jim Cramer yesterday to discuss the company’s first-quarter earnings. In the segment, Gregg provided perspectives on our recently announced Q1 results, including discussion of supply and demand, global plant-based growth, private label competition and innovation.
To view the segment, please click here.
CNBC also posted an article recapping the segment, emphasizing that WhiteWave is a strong competitor in the organic and natural foods space with “revenues up 10 percent year over year and 20 percent growth in its plant-based foods and beverages business.” Additionally, the article included commentary from Engles, who noted that organic producers are struggling to keep up with demand, which has led to higher prices for organic products, and that the company’s focus moving forward will be on family-oriented products like children’s snack and meals.
This morning, WhiteWave Foods reported record results for the first quarter ending March 31, 2015. Check out the below highlights and click here to learn more.
- Total Net Sales Increased 10%; Constant Currency Net Sales Increased 13%
- Adjusted Total Operating Income Increased 17%; Continued Operating Margin Expansion
- Q1 2015 Adjusted Diluted Earnings per Share of $0.24, Excluding China Joint Venture Investments
- Increasing FY 2015 Adjusted Diluted Earnings Per Share Guidance to $1.10 to $1.14, Excluding China Joint Venture Investments. Guidance Includes an Estimated $0.06 Foreign Exchange Impact, Resulting in Constant Currency Guidance of $1.16 to $1.20.
Happy Cinco de Mayo! To celebrate, we have a simple and fresh pico de gallo recipe that is just as delicious as it is versatile. This recipe is the perfect pairing for chips, veggies, tacos and even scrambled eggs!
For the best flavor, keep in mind that it should sit for 30 minute prior to serving.
- 2 cups diced Earthbound Farm Organic Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced Earthbound Farm Organic Red Onion
- 1/2 cup diced jalapeno pepper (seeded and mined)
- 1/2 cup chopped Earthbound Farm Orgnic Cilantro
- 1 ½ tsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Combine all ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper. Let sit 30 minutes prior to serving.
Silk Vanilla and Chocolate Cashewmilk were recently featured in the Hungry Girl monthly newsletter. In addition to sharing nutritional stats for the beverage, Lisa Lillian noted that she “can’t get enough” of the new flavors. Be sure to look out for these new additions to the Silk family in stores nationwide this month!
Looking for a mid-week pick-me-up? Look no further than this delicious recipe from International Delight. The taste is a creamy vanilla blend with a twist of orange, and best of all…the ingredients are fat-free!
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee, cooled
- 1/4 cup International Delight® Fat-Free French Vanilla
- Ice cubes
- Fat-free whipped topping
- Orange slice
Combine coffee and International Delight Fat-Free French Vanilla and pour over ice. Top with a dollop of fat-free whipped topping and garnish with an orange slice. Enjoy.
Serving size: One serving
by Val Fishman, VP Corporate Partnerships, BEF
Water restoration – what exactly does that mean anyway, and how has WhiteWave made a difference?
Across North America and the world, many people do not know where their water comes from; they don’t know how their actions affect water supplies. For too long we have used water as if it were a limitless resource, without understanding how each of us can be a proactive part of a solution, rather than a part of an ever-expanding problem. As a society, we are using water incredibly inefficiently. Our water use is about as inefficient as our energy use was decades ago, but the good news is there is a lot of opportunity for improvement, and WhiteWave has supported water flow restoration projects pioneering these solutions through its partnership with BEF since 2009.
However you celebrate Earth Day, take a moment to feel proud of your workplace. If you haven’t already taken the free Change the Course pledge to conserve water – keep reading to the end of the post to learn how you can restore 1,000 gallons more to the Colorado River!
Projects WhiteWave has directly supported include:
- Two projects to support expansive restoration in the Colorado River Delta through WhiteWave’s Charter Sponsorship of Change the Course
- The Verde River in Arizona: an ideal case study for sustainable water use in agriculture, while also supporting fish, wildlife and recreation
- The Roaring Fork River in Colorado that supports recreation, fish, wildlife and improved water quality
- The Fraser River in Colorado that supports fishing, recreation and farming
- Upper Dotta Meadow in the Sierra region of Northern California that supports water quality affecting both Northern and Southern California as well as supporting trout, vegetative recovery, bird species diversity and carbon sequestration
- The Middle Deschutes in Central Oregon that supports fishing and multiple wildlife species
- Sevenmile Creek in Southern Oregon that supports improved habitat and provides a critical migratory corridor for endangered and threatened species while still supporting the local agricultural economy.
Interested in learning how much water you use? Measure your own water use through National Geographic’s water footprint calculator, and when you are done, text “River” to 77177. For each text we receive, Change the Course sponsors (like WhiteWave) restore 1,000 gallons to the Colorado River!
Join us and the Earthbound Farm team in celebrating Earth Week! This is the ideal time to restore our focus on earth-friendly living for a better future and take a closer look at the choices we are making in our daily routine when it comes to sustainability. The Earthbound Farm team has come up with some great tips for a greener shopping cart and healthier living. Take the quiz on “How Green is Your Cart?” to get an Earthbound Farm coupon and great tips on how to adjust your habits for a more sustainable living.